If you are still waiting to Jailbreak your iPad 1, follow the instruction on “ how to jailbreak your iPad 1 on iOS 5.0.1″ using PwnageTool for Mac in this article.
Create a folder entitled “Pwnage” on the desktop and fill it with a couple of things like;
1. PwnageTool 5.0.1.
2 5.0.1 iPad firmware which can be downloaded as follows;
- 5.0.1 (iPad 1): iPad1,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw
- 5.0.1 (iPad 2 Wi-Fi): iPad2,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw
- 5.0.1 (iPad 2 GSM): iPad2,2_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw
- 5.0.1 (iPad 2 CDMA): iPad2,3_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw
It is good, if you are downloading IPSW file with Firefox since safari auto extract it.
After double click on PwnageTool, drag the PwanageTool icon to the Pwanage folder.
Now inside Pwanage folder, double click the PwanageTool to launch the application.
If warning occurs then hit the OK button
Select the appropriate Expert Mode from the top menu bar
Screen with the iPad’s will popup. Select your appropriate iPad. As you click on the selected iPad, a green color check mark will appear on that iPad. Press the blue arrow button at the end of the screen to continue.
You will be brought to the “Browse for IPSW” page. Click the Browse for IPSW…button.
Now popup window will show you a set of firmware. Select your firmware and then press Open button in Pwnage folder.
Now you will find a screen, showing you different choices, select the General and hit the Next arrow button at the end to continue.
Through General setting you will be able to decide the partition size..
You do not need to install custom packages manually, Cydia setting menu allows it to install it automatically.
Press the Refresh button to see all the available list of download packages. For downloading double click at the desired package and then hit the next arrow button to continue.
Check the packages that you want and then hit the Next arrow button.
Now the window will shows the Custom Package Setting for your custom IPSW. Here packages can be enabled or disabled.
The Pwnage process starts here. You can now adjust the setting of each section, once you have finished click “Build” to compile and build the IPSW file that will be used to restore the iPad and apple TV 2G. When you done with the Build button hit Next to continue.
Now save the custom IPSW file to the Pwnage folder that you created at the desktop.
It starts to building the IPSW file, wait for 10 minutes. Later this can be used to restore your iPad , apple TV 2G.
Enter your administrative user name and password and then hit the OK button.
On building your IPSW, You need to connect your iPad with computer. Then computer will detect your device and Pwnage tool will guide you step by step to put your iPad in DFU mode.
Hold the power and home buttons for 10 seconds.
Now continue holding the home button and release the power button for 10 seconds. This will help iPad to enter in DFU mode
Now you will see a window congratulating you to enter in DFU mode, Press the OK button. Now PwanageTool will prompt you to launch iTunes.
If you are experiencing problem with your iPad, you can restore its original settings by clicking restore by holding Alt/Option key.
Using the dialog window that appears on your desktop select the Pwnage folder. Select the custom IPSW and click on the Choose button.
This is also a 10 minute process. iTunes will start to restore on your iPad and when its done then reboot into Jailbroken iOS 5.0.1
Even after iOS5, the first generation iPad still did not get the multitasking gestures or display mirroring in the proper official way. We now have a version of Redsnow which unlocks these features without the use of jailbreak. In this article we will explain how to enable multitasking gestures in iOS 5 for iPad 1.
How to Enable MultiTasking Gestures in iOS 5 for iPad 1
Warning: The following instructions apply to iPad1 only. Both the features, i.e., gestures and mirroring are already present in iPad 2, so it doesn’t need any changes. However it is advised that before you proceed with the process; create a backup of your iPad so that if something goes wrong your data stays safe. Here is how to do it:
- Modified version of Redsnow with the tweaked payload is available online, download it: For Mac, For windows.
- Get the iPad connected to the computer.
- Turn the iPad off now.
- After launching Redsnow select ‘Jailbreak’. The process of jailbreak will not start unless you follow the steps.
- Put your iPad into DFU mode after tagging along the instructions coming on screen.
- Uncheck the box titled ‘Install Cydia’ and this will prevent the jailbreak to load and will only enable multitasking.
- Check the box, ‘Enable Multitask Gesture’.
- Complete the process and click ‘Next’. Now reboot your iPad.
- When the iPad restarts, go to the ‘Settings’ and tap the ‘General’ tab. Here look for the tab ‘Multitasking Gestures’ and make sure that it is turned On.
The best way to make sure that you have successfully managed the settings, pinch with four fingers after turning it on.
Gestures in Multitasking:
With the use of four or five fingers, the user can:
- Get to the Home Screen after pinching which is very much similar to pinching from OS X Lion to its Launchpad.
- Show the apps running in the multitasking bar by swiping.
- You can swipe either way, left or right, between the open applications.
If you want to downgrade your iOS to its previous version, you have an option to proceed with i.e. downgrading; and this is very common as regards iPhones. In this concise but straight-forward tutorial we will explain how to downgrade iOS 5.0.1 to 4.3.3, 4.3.5 on iPhone 4, 3GS, iPad 2/1 and iPod Touch.
It is to been known that Apple allows you to downgrade your iOS firmware only when a previous SHSH blob (for iOS 4.x) is backed up by you already.
How to Downgrade iOS 5.0.1 On iPhone 4, 3GS, iPad and iPod Touch:
Now, the first step you have to take for downgrading your iOS5.0.1 to 4.3.3 or 4.3.5 is to download the IPSW files (firmware files) for the specific version of iOS. These files can be downloaded from the links below (directly from Apple).
iOS 5.0 IPSW for all iDevices:
- iPhone 4S
- iPhone 4 (GSM)
- iPhone 4 (CDMA)
- iPhone 3GS
- iPad 2 WiFi
- iPad 2 GSM
- iPad 2 CDMA
- iPod touch 3G
- iPod touch 4G
- Apple TV (4.4)
iOS 4.3.5 IPSW for all iDevices:
iOS 4.3.3 / 4.2.8 IPSW for all iDevices:
Step One – Change your Device to DFU Mode:
As a first step of downgrading your system, get your device into DFU mode. To do this, follow the steps as mentioned below:
- Connect your iDevice to your system through USB
- Now, keep pressing the power button for one or two seconds.
- At the same time, press the Home button too, without pulling up the Power button.
- Hold that for about 15 seconds
- Now release the Power button only – without releasing the Home button
- Keep holding for about 10 seconds or more
- You see, the screen of your iPhone or iPad has become completely black – which means that is is now in DFU mode.
- Now, go to this folder in Windows: C:/Windows/System32/drivers/etc
- On a Mac, that would merely be /etc
- You’ll find a file called “hosts” in the folder. Make a backup copy of it somewhere.
- Now, add the following lines to the end of the “hosts” file ( the original file, not the backup)
- 184.108.40.206 gs.apple.com
- Save the file.
Step Three – Restore your Device:
Now, get ready to restore your iPhone or iPad to the IPSW firmware file which we had downloaded before performing Step One.
- Launch iTunes on your system and, from the sidebar, select your device. Have you found the ‘Restore’ option there? Don’t click on that.
- Now press the left Shift and, without releasing that, click on Restore. It will prompt for a file to be traced.
- Select the correct IPSW file for your device.
It is possible that you may receive an error like Error 10xx. Here xx denotes to any number like 14. Don’t be bothered about that. A tool like TinyUmbrella or Fix Recovery can be used to ward off the error. If all goes well, your iPhone or iPad shall be downgraded to the version of the iOS you have chosen.
It has been confirmed that this method works perfectly as long as you have a back up of SHSH blobs from your device beforehand for the versions of iOS like 4.x.