How to Reformat an iPad
There are several times when you need to delete everything stored on your iPad. This might be need when you want to upgrade to iPad 2 or when you have to sell your iPad. So, formatting the iPad is a best option if u have such a scenario. In this article we will explain how to reformat an iPad. Actually there are two ways to perform this action, one is done through the iTunes and the other one is done directly from the iPad interface.
Caution: REFORMATTING your iPad will entirely remove your personal media, songs, content, docs and settings etc from your iPad. You may acknowledge this before attempting to reformat your iPhone.
How to Reformat an iPad Using iTunes
Here is how to reformat & erase your iPad by using iTunes.
Caution: This will remove all of your apps, data, and settings from the iPad so that it is ready to be set up as a new device. Make sure you read this before performing this procedure:
- Open iTunes and connect your iPad with your computer with the data cable.
- Now, select “iPad” from the list placed on the left side of iTunes.
- Try to look at the “Summary” tab which is by default selected and click on “Restore” button as shown in the below image.
- Always ensure that you make a backup of your personal content etc before attempting to delete all the data stored in the iPhone.
- You can also make a backup by clicking on “Create a Backup” but if you don’t want to create a backup then surely you can select “Don’t Back Up” option from the dialogue box.
- The Restore process actually restores the original iOS company settings along with erasing all the user data from iPad. So, it will take a few minutes.
- After a while you will see “Connect to iTunes” screen which notifies that you have successfully reformatted and restored your iPad to its original state by using iTunes.
By now, you can surely hand over your iPad to the new owner if you have plans to sell your iPad to someone else. Otherwise, you are ready to setup your iPad again from the scratch. Just connect your iPad with iTunes and select “Set Up As New” in order to reconfigure the initial settings.
Alternatively, you can adopt the other method to reformat your iPad by just using your iPad device and nothing else.
How to Reformat an iPad
Cautions are always meant for preventing from the possible losses. So, take necessary steps to backup your data before performing this reformat.
The alternative way of reformating your iPad is directly from iOS:
- Select “Settings”
- Now, Choose “General”
- Next, Tap on “Reset” Button
- Now select “Erase All Content and Settings”
You will have to enter passcode in order this to work. So, make sure you have your passcode with you. If you have set any passcode then enter it and proceed to confirm the deletion process.
Moreover, iOS is usually a faster and efficient method as compared to the iTunes methods. The only insecure thing here in this method is, this method does not allow a backup procedure. So, you will not be having a restore function in case you are reformating through this method. Again after this step you will be required to reconfigure your iPad from scratch.