How to Setup VPN Access on your iPhone and iPad for Secure Web Browsing
If you want to know how to set up VPN (Virtual Private Network) access on your iPhone and iPad devices, just read along. Basically, VPN can help you resolve many issues when you are using your device. You have to know why and when you should use VPN on your iPhone and iPad. The most important reason for using VPN while accessing the internet is that it protects you from the hands of hackers. There are a lot of thieves on public Wi-Fi who can steal your information. By accessing public Wi-Fi networks via VPN your data and information will remain secure from prying eyes.
Another advantage of using VPN on your iPhone and iPad is that if you are using internet in a country that censors internet activity, you will be able to bypass this censorship. One additional advantage of VPN usage is that it will allow you to access geo-restricted websites like Hulu, Netflix, BBC, iPlayer, Spotify and other services in a restricted territory.
iPhone and iPad devices support L2TP, PPTP, and IPSec VPN. One important thing to make sure is that you have all the information and settings you need to enable VPN service on your device. These configuration settings can be obtained from your company/university or organization who’s VPN you will be using. You need to be aware that there some web services, which restrict mobile access to their services via VPN.
You can see the screenshots below (iPhone setup)
To configure the VPN, simply:
- Tap the “Settings”
- Then tap “General”
- Tap “Network”
- Tap “VPN”
- Lastly, tap “Add VPN Configuration”
- You will see some tabs on the top, what you need to do is, select which type of configuration you need. Basically, you can choose IPSec (unless your system administrator or IT person provided you other types). In the screenshot, for example we used the IPSec.
- Simply enter the information for your VPN in the fields. If you opt to use a proxy, enable it. You can see that at the bottom of the settings’ page.
Post-Configuration of VPN, and Ready for usage
- Now, on your Home screen, tap “Settings”
- Previously, you don’t see the VPN option. Now after the configuration, you can see it under the Wi-Fi option. This option appears after you have configured your VPN access. Next, toggle the switch to “On”.
- You will see the VPN option. It will appear “VPN connecting…” If you have correctly input the settings which your system administrator provided, it will definitely work. Your device should be able to connect to the VPN. If an error message appears, check your settings again.
Basically, we are done here. If you guys would like to try these steps, you may share your input too. If you have any issues or comments, we are glad to hear from you.